Ministry of Defence, Defence Headquarters Complex, Sri Jayawardenepura,Kotte, Sri Lanka
The border preventive strategy under this section predominantly focuses on,
• Training for frontline personnel,
• Awareness-raising activities,
• Vulnerability reduction,
• A strengthened data collection system, research and assessments to enhance knowledge on emerging trends,
• Strengthened legislative provisions,
• Enhanced co-ordination and cooperation among stakeholders,
• Reduction in the demand for exploitative labour.
The Inspector General of Police (IGP) issued a circular bearing in mid-August 2021 establishing the new “Human Trafficking, Smuggling, and Maritimes Crimes Investigation Division” within the CID.
Based on news reports published in media related to potential incidents of trafficking, letters were sent by MoD, as the chair of the NAHTTF, to the Inspector General of Police that expeditious instructions may be given to the Director-HTSMCID of the CID to promptly screen and initiate investigations and in instances where foreign nationals are presumed to be victims of trafficking, the Foreign Ministry assists by liaising with the relevant Embassies.
In reference to combating transnational organized crimes of Human Smuggling and Human trafficking, the Department of Immigration and Emigration (DIE) operates a Border Surveillance Unit (BSU) consisting of a considerable no of Immigration Officers to identify human smugglers, human traffickers, and victims of trafficking, smuggled migrants and non-bonafide passengers at the Bandaranaike International Airport (BIA).
The Border Risk Assessment Centre (BRAC) was established as part of Sri Lanka’s Integrated Border Management (IBM) strategy under the Ministry of Defence of Sri Lanka and ceremonially opened in December last year. BRAC enhances safe and legal migration while curtailing incidents of human trafficking through systematic proactive risk assessments.
The Bandaranaike International Diplomatic Training Institute (BIDTI), the training arm of the Foreign Ministry has initiated a training program on the successful prevention and combating of trafficking offenses for all diplomatic officers including Sri Lanka Foreign Service (SLFS) Officers and others deployed in Sri Lanka Missions overseas.
HTSMCID ( Human trafficking Smuggling and Maritime Crimes Investigation Division)
• Jaffna District Unite - 076-2525410
• Trincomalee - 070-8077239
• Mannar - 070-2571553
• Rathmalana - 077-1274375
• Beruwala - 077-6694537
• NCPA ( National Child Protection Authority ) - 0112-778 911
• DIE ( Department of Immigration and Emigration ) - 1962
• MFA ( Ministry of Foreign Affairs ) - 0112-325 372
• SLBFE ( Sri Lanka Bureau of Foreign Employment ) - 0112-864101
• MFE (State Ministry of Foreign Employment Promotion and Market Diversification ) - 0112-368526
• TRCSL ( Telecommunications Regulatory Commission of Sri Lanka ) - 0112-689 345
• DPCCS ( Department of Probation and Child Care Services ) - 0112-186 062
• NAP ( National Authority for Protection of Victims of Crime and Witnesses ) - 0112-879 539
• BPACW ( Bureau for the Prevention of Abuse of Children & Women ) - 0112-779196
• BRAC (Boarder Risk Assessment Center ) -